Last weekend I tapped the #SMEM community, asking for their “Commandments” related to use of social media in emergencies. It generated a dozen or so replies, many with a common theme. I’ve incorporated them into my own list below. What am I missing?
10 SMEM Commandments During Crisis
- Thou shalt listen before tweeting.
- Thou shalt avoid the “retwecho”.
- Thou shalt not ignore what is being said.
- Thou shalt not use others words as their own.
- Thou shalt not post anything that would embarrass you or your mother when printed “above the fold”.
- Thou shalt understand that SMEM is only one way of communicating (but really effective!).
- Thou shalt accept that information must be quickly, clearly and frequently distributed.
- Thou shalt be forgiven for flogging an IC who insists on approving all SM messaging .
- Thou shalt acknowledge you can’t have enough power dongles and spare batteries.
- Thou shalt never underestimate the power of the crowd.